Trees go into dormancy during winter making it the ideal time for you to prune. We recommend pruning trees while they are young to establish good structure and to prevent damage in the future, such as limb failure.
Here are Canopy’s five steps to pruning young trees:
- Remove dead, dying, damaged, diseased branches.
- Select and establish the central leader.
- Select the lowest permanent branch (LPB) based on tree location/purpose.
- Select and establish scaffold branches.
- Select temporary branches below the LPB and remove or head back others